Humanitarian workers and professionals are increasingly exposed to challenging, insecure, remote or hostile environments due to lawlessness, political instability and armed conflict. It is essential they are adequately prepared for any dangers they may encounter.
RedR Australia's internationally recognised Hostile Environment Awareness Training (HEAT) prepares individuals to work in crisis zones or a range of hostile situations. This rigorous classroom and simulation training will enhance your knowledge of personal security so you are prepared to face difficult security situations.
The training course integrates Tactical Emergency Casualty Care (TECC) training delivered by our partners Real Response, giving you the skills and knowledge to operate in hostile environments around the world. Real Response delivers a combination of theory and practical based emergency medical training, teaching you the skills to manage ballistic, penetrating and blast trauma. TECC skills learnt on the training course include commercial and improvised tourniquets and haemorrhage control, airway management of an unconscious casualty and an array of improvised techniques teaching students how to save and preserve life with limited resources.
Each participant will receive a TECC Level 1 Certificate issued through Real Response. The course content is recognised through the Committee for Tactical Emergency Casualty Care (C-TECC).
Who is this course for?
The Hostile Environment Awareness Training (HEAT) course is designed for people from all professional backgrounds and disciplines and is a prerequisite for joining RedR Australia's humanitarian roster.
This course is targeted at individuals and aid agency staff wanting to learn more about personal safety and security issues and the steps they need to take to remain safe or survive in a hostile or insecure situation or environment.
The course is in English and is supported by Arabic speaking Trainers. You need to have a reasonable proficiency of the English language.
Find out if this course is right for you. Contact our training team for more information.
Degree of Difficulty
Please note that this course is both psychologically and physically demanding.
While personnel are in place to help participants achieve the learning objectives of the course, given the demands placed on both body and mind, physical and mental fitness is to be considered when selecting this course.
Our Training Team
Our highly experienced trainers deliver a unique and high quality training experience.
Our trainers have extensive experience in complex emergencies and natural disasters in Africa, the Middle East, the Americas and the Asia Pacific.
Aims and Objectives
This course aims to introduce a standard and recognised approach to managing security within the sector. It provides an overview of individual and team risk management.
Reduce the risk of injury and death to humanitarian workers by promoting:
- An understanding of security risks in the field environment
- The development of personal and team-based strategies
- Effective use of communication and navigation devices
- Successful application emergency first aid
- Tactical Emergency Casualty Care (provided and accredited by our partners, Real Response)
- Humanitarian Security Context (inc Image and Acceptance)
- Trip Planning
- Communications Protocol and Equipment
- Field Preparedness and Evacuation
- Critical Incident Stress
- Weapons Awareness: Judging Distance
- Weapons Awareness: Movement under Fire
- Basics of Negotiation
- Sexual Assault
- Hostage and Kidnap Survival (inc Hostile Observation Awareness)
- Physical Security
- Vehicle Check Points/Road Blocks
- Crowds, Mobs and Demonstrations
- Incident Reporting
How to register for the course
To express your interest in attending this course please email [email protected] and you will be provided with further information about registration and payment. We look forward to you joining us on this course.
Full rate: USD $2,400
Inclusions: All food, accommodation and training materials for four days and three nights. Travel is not included.
Course fees are in US dollars. A deposit of USD $400 is payable at the time of enrollment to secure your place on a course. This payment must be made via bank transfer to RedR Australia. The bank account details to transfer will be made available to you once you have emailed your expression of interest to [email protected].
Essential Course Information
Registration takes place from 08:00am on the first day of the course. To receive your course certificates you must complete the entire course.
Travel and Accommodation
Please arrange your own travel to and from our training venues. Accommodation is included in the course fee. Full payment of course fees is required prior to attendance.
Travel insurance is recommended for all applicants and is mandatory for international participants.
It is strongly recommended that you complete a preparatory on-line training package before attending the HEAT. This will deepen your learning of personal security issues and allow you to contribute more fully to the practical scenarios in the training.
RedR Australia recommends two e-learning courses, which are free to access. Choose the course best suited to your needs.
- All applicants to the RedR Australia humanitarian roster are required to complete the United Nations BSAFE certificates as a prerequisite to be accepted on our roster.
- This training is mandatory for all candidates wishing in the future to deploy with a UN agency.
- The training introduces security material, outlines the UN approach to security issues and provides comprehensive information on the UN Security System as it operates around the world.
- The training course takes one hour to complete and is mobile friendly. An Advanced Security in the Field certificate is also available.
Course 2: Stay Safe – International Federation of the Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies (IFRC)
- This training course is designed primarily for personnel working within the Red Cross/Red Crescent movement and suits those wishing to deploy with any NGO.
- This training course takes approximately 3-4 hours to complete.
When you finish the online course/s, please bring a copy of your certificate/s of completion to the HEAT course so our trainers know who have completed each course.
Please refer to your course orientation guide, received upon enrolment, for more detailed essential course information.